For best (and safest) results, trim the candle wick to 1/8"-1/4" before lighting (each time!). Don't burn for longer than four hours at a time.
Allow the candle to achieve a full melt pool on the first burn. The wax should be fully melted from edge to edge and the liquid wax should be 1/4" or less deep. Failure to do so will result in excess wax left on the sides of the container for the remainder of the life of the candle. (This is known as soy wax's "memory".)
If the candle flame appears too high or starts producing soot, extinguish the candle, trim the wick, and relight.
KEEP ALL CANDLES OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS. Do not burn candles unattended, on an uneven or flammable surface, in close proximity to flammable materials, or in an enclosed space (such as a bookshelf).